Chris Cornell's Passing

Chris Cornell had a huge impact in my life. 

I remember around the time of my life where I first heard Soundgarden. We were living in Atlanta, I was around 10 years old. I remember this voice come out of the radio, and I thought it was amazing. Having grown up listening to Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Rush, and many more bands, I thought it was something truly amazing that a modern singer had a voice like Chris Cornell. I started playing drums around the age of 12. As I grew older and I improved I played a lot of Soundgarden. I remember jamming with my friends playing "Spoonman". When I played by myself I would tear through the albums "Superunknown" and "A-Sides" by Soundgarden. Around the age of 17 the first Audioslave album came out. My dad and I had been expecting it for months. I remember distinctly: I was sitting in my dad's truck in a Home Depot parking lot. Having just purchased it, I slid the CD in the player and it launched off like a rocket in my brain.

Chris Cornell's contribution to my life is such that I feel like a close family member has passed. When my dad and I used to cut grass we would listen to all of his music. When I cut grass, or when we would work on the house, or hang out on the weekends, turning the TV sound down and the music on blast, watching the cartoons sync up with the music. Chris Cornell was one of the heavy hitters in my musical palette. I talked with my dad for a short while last night and he told me the same; he felt as if he had lost a close friend.

His last song ever performed was " Slaves and Bulldozers" interwoven with Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". It seems fitting for him to have chosen that song to include, and after watching the performance, it seems that was his final message to everyone.

As dark as it seems, the mind is too complicated to narrow down a person's suicide to "selfishness", or to choose anger as our response to the tragic event. A person suffering from depression has forgotten how to take care of their mind. There are not always signs. We are always shocked to hear when one of our idols dies this way. I think the best thing we can do when this happens is to honor them by treating other people with kindness and respect. Most of all, we should treat ourselves with the same. You cannot fill other people's glasses if yours isn't full. If you think someone is hurting in their life, ask them. If you feel you are in a bad place, tell someone. Talk to a professional. Honesty with yourself and others is a sign of strength. We don't have all the answers. We just need to listen.

RIP Chris Cornell. You and your art will forever remain. 

Comments